anita's*thoughts
Thursday, December 09, 2004
On Tuesday a supplier of Tip Top took some of their clients out on a boat for the day. It was a 2.5 million dollar 24 m Italian masterpiece called the Pacific Jemm. A Jemm was with 3 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, BBQ, dining room, lounge etc etc. There was a chief on board and wait staff. We ate beautiful food and drank beautiful drink (Evian and OJ for me). It was an amazing experience to see how the other half live. I had an excellent time but got a bit overwhelmed towards the end of the day. It was a bit weird being a couple of feet away from a bottle of drink but getting someone else to fill your glass for you. I felt a bit uncomfortable making someone else do something so simple for me. It felt a bit elitist and wrong.

It is really the exact opposite of the example Christ gave us. Most people in life are striving to live a life like I did for one day, having else wait on you. But as Christians our goal is the exact opposite, we aim to serve others. For Hamish and I our ‘career’ and life choices will result in the exact opposite of this. A friend said to me after I told him about the day ‘well I hoped you enjoyed cause it won’t be anything like that when you are a pastors wife’. Good I thought I didn’t really like it anyway. I think I would much rather pour the drinks, I know I would feel better at the end of the day.

5 Comments:

I'm glad I am currently counted as a friend. Whether I will be after you and Hamish come round for dinner tomorrow night remains to be seen.

By Blogger Scotty, at 10:33 pm, December 09, 2004  


i agree
also, its amazing what an impact you can make on people by serving them, esp when they're not expecting it.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:51 pm, December 10, 2004  


i agree
also, its amazing what an impact you can make on people by serving them, esp when they're not expecting it.
alana

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:51 pm, December 10, 2004  


"...It was an amazing experience to see how the other half live..."
The other half? I'm probably way to mathematical, but its not like half the world lives the high life. In fact, to most of the (population wise) world, your life probably is the high life.

By Blogger Nathan, at 3:47 pm, December 11, 2004  


You could be justified in saying 'the other half', since half the population earn more than the average wage. Plus its a figure of speech.

By Blogger Dan, at 8:37 am, December 13, 2004  


Post a Comment

Anita posted at 9:26 pm

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com