anita's*thoughts
Thursday, September 01, 2005
I managed to quickly avert my eyes from the headline on nzhearld.co.nz about a cat abuse. Phew I thought I don't want to read about stuff like that. Then I did the daily skim of the blogs to see that Scott has mentioned it on his- yikes so I quickly click on the next link and off to Dan's blog. It is safe there- no mention of animal abuse.

If it had been a story about a human being cut in half- no problem I would have read it. But why is that a cat being cut in half is so much more offensive to me? I don't value animal life above human life and if I had to chose between my husband and my cat, I would choose my husband. But there is something deeply troubling about hearing about animal abuse.

3 Comments:

I know what you mean.

By Blogger Dan, at 2:55 pm, September 01, 2005  


Perhaps its because when we see a human hurt another human, at least the other human had a chance. Whereas, when a human hurts an animal, the animal is often helpless. As humans we ought to be protecting animals, governing creation as wise rules. It's a particularly horrible role reversal when the one who should protect them grossly mistreats them. It's horribly unjust.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:19 pm, September 01, 2005  


Or perhaps we sense the animal has done nothing wrong - while we can at least know that humans are by nature evil.
And of course there is the fact that a cat has never tried to hurt you other than eat your arm. Humans tend to be worse.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:21 pm, September 02, 2005  


Post a Comment

Anita posted at 2:21 pm

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com