anita's*thoughts
Thursday, October 20, 2005
Defending people.

There are two people that I find myself defending to others. Their names are Brian Tamaki and George W Bush. These men are Christian leaders but some of their actions don't sit right with me or others. It is hard to defend someone when you are not totally convinced yourself on the merit of doing so.

Brian Tamaki

I believe he is a great man on God doing great things in NZ for the sake of the kingdom. But everyone is hung up about his Harley and his flash stuff and the fact he is a Bishop. It seems to be a sticking point. It kinda reminds me of the Porchse discussion that was had at YBC a few years ago. Should Christian have flash things or should the money go to the poor and should we live as Christ did. What would Jesus do? I don't think he would hoon around in a Harley... It sounds judgemental really to sit there and say 'so and so shouldn't own this' but to a watching and critical world the bar is raised for Christians

George Bush

An openly Christian leader who makes postive christian decisions for the good of the US. Wouldn't we love that in NZ??
Iraq- yikes. There were no Weapons of MD, surprise surprise and there were no Iraqis on the planes that flew into the World Trade Tower. The war did not have the blessing of the UN (apparently the UN is bad but I am yet to hear why so until I do I assume a bunch of nations working together is good) Saddam was an evil man who needed to be removed. But hang on who put him there....? If Iraq didn't have the oil resources that it does would the US be that interested in it? Take Rawanda for example in 1994 1 million people died in 100 days and the UN and the US did nothing. Why- could it be cause their only export is coffee and tea and who cares about that. Something just doesn't sit right when people like (and yes I am going to say Michael Moore) Michael Moore feel the need to make a movie about it.

1 Comments:

The more public a person is the more the flaws come to our attention.

Mr Tamaki and his wealth... yea. The wealth I have no issue with. It's his attitude about deserving it that gets me. Perhaps he's changed his views on that since I last heard him speak on it.

Mr Bush: I blame the war on the government - not just the president. They after all tell him what to think half the time. He was misinformed by many.
His personal actions regarding Christian lifestyle however are different. I still remember comments about the Koran being the word of god.
Once again, I'm open to the idea that he may have changed. I haven't been looking.

We shouldn't need to defend people. Their actions and words should be enough that we can defend them by simply repeating them.
Remembering the fact that personal opinions and beliefs change in ourselves, and in others. (dead people I guess we can be more sure about as their opinions won't change any more hehe)

But the fact that we do need to defend people means one of two things:
Either they are not providing their own defense, or people are misunderstanding them when they do - in which case only the hearer is at fault.

hmm. I didn't plan to rant... but I have :)

Hows Auz btw? Bryan was over there a few weeks back enjoying the sun... just before the cricket ball sized hail stoned destroyed where he was staying heh.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:37 pm, October 20, 2005  


Post a Comment

Anita posted at 6:11 pm

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com