anita's*thoughts
Tuesday, November 08, 2005
Been thinking about really deep parenting issues of late. Well actually not really. Been thinking about things like nappies, TV, Fizzy drink and the like.

Nappies- going to give the cloth ones a shot. Everyone poo-hoos this idea when I tell them and they are probably right. It is heaps easier to uses disposables. But I am really uncomfortable with the impact that they have on the environment and the cost of them! Actually to be totally honest I am also thinking about the diaper less baby idea. Did you know that there are babies that don't actually wear nappies? Their parents take them to the loo and apparently it works well. But I have to get heaps more info and would like to talk to someone who actually manages it.

TV- the sewer of perversion as my bud Scott calls it. And he is right. Add Playstation, DVD's and computer games to that list. Stuff that dulls kids brains and discourages them from reading, playing outside and thinking for themselves.

Fizzy Drink (Sprite, Coke, Fanta etc)- add Juice and any drink with sugar in it. It is going to be like Champagne to my kids. As in they will drink it as much as I drink champagne- pretty much never. Juice is ok -watered down. Milk and water are the best. That goes for me and Hamish too- better do something about my Coke habit (Coke as in Cola).

Anyway as you can see I am pretty full of it but I think if you don't plan this kinda stuff you can let it slip. Easy for a non-parent to say though! Will keep ya posted.

6 Comments:

Have you got that cat sorted out yet? lol!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:18 pm, November 09, 2005  


I have occasionally wondered how people dealt with nappies/etc a few thousand years ago. No toilet paper then either I guess.

Hmmm. Probably don't want to continue that line of thought.

:-p

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:42 pm, November 09, 2005  


hehe funny you should mention bout giving your kids sugary drinks etc rarely...randomly saw this thing somewhere on how Catherine Zeta-Jones does exactly that - doesn't let her kids have any juice (or very rarely - relating it to like having a glass of Champagne). So yeah good on ya :) (not that im saying b/c she's doing that you should do it too)

By Blogger Priscilla, at 11:52 am, November 11, 2005  


Yup it was in the Women's Day and I thought it was pretty cool comparison.

By Blogger Anita, at 12:09 pm, November 11, 2005  


While the bulk of television programmes are worthless, and indeed even harmful, I personally haven't written the TV off altogether. And the same goes for video games; they can be interactive and creatively stimulating.

By Blogger Dan, at 9:04 am, November 16, 2005  


Go the cloth nappies! It's a great feeling every time i put one on Toby knowing I am doing the environment and my pocket good! Need to catch up and talk nappies and other baby stuff...

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:40 pm, November 23, 2005  


Post a Comment

Anita posted at 3:37 pm

Get awesome blog templates like this one from BlogSkins.com